Cultural Heritage Hackathon
- Date: 23 May, 15:00–19:00
- Location: Carolina Rediviva Carolinabiblioteket
- Lecturer: Karolina Andersdotter
- Organiser: Uppsala universitetsbibliotek
- Contact person: Karolina Andersdotter
Coffee, pizza, and cultural heritage – what's not to like? On this hackathon* you'll have the opportunity to try out digital methods on material from the library's special collections and at the same time help to improve the material's potential for research.
The material we will be working on is a digitised art, news, and fashion magazine from the first half of the 19th century: Boijes magasin. The text is OCR'd but due to the magazine's age some of the characters are incorrect (e.g. cottage occurs as both Gottage and collage within the text). Our task is to correct this. When working manually with a text you get a really good insight into the content of the magazine as well as a better understanding of digitisation processes - it's the perfect combination of work and pleasure!
Join us in bridging the gap between printing press and text mining!
N.b. Bring your own laptop! Sign up here.
* hackathon is a portmanteau of 'hacker' and 'marathon' and is an event where hackers (such as you and I!) gather to develop and improve a digital resource.