The Constitutional and Political Theory of Ernst-Wolfgang Böckenförde – Book Launch
- Date: 3/27/2017 at 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Location: Faculty Room, Trädgårdsgatan 1, Law Faculty, Uppsala University
- Lecturer: Anna Jonsson Cornell, Uppsala University, Constitutional Law Iain Cameron, Uppsala University, Public International Law Inger Österdahl, Uppsala University, Public International Law Max Edling, King’s College London, History
- Organiser: Faculty of Law
- Contact person: Anna Jonsson Cornell
With a Welcome Address by Dr. Hans-Jürgen Heimsoeth, Ambassador of Germany to the Kingdom of Sweden, and an introduction by the book’s editors Mirjam Künkler (SCAS, Uppsala) and Tine Stein (University of Kiel).
Ernst-Wolfgang Böckenförde (b. 1930) is one of Europe's foremost legal scholars and political thinkers. As a scholar of constitutional law and a judge on Germany's Federal Constitutional Court (1983 - 1996), Böckenförde has been a major contributor to contemporary debates in legal and political theory, to the conceptual framework of the modern state, basic rights, constitutionalism, the state of emergency, and challenges to European integration. The launch presents his writings on constitutional and political theory, just published by Oxford University Press. A second volume, with Böckenförde’s writings on religion and law, is forthcoming in early 2018.