Lecture by Honorary Doctor Henry Jenkins
- Date: 1/23/2018 at 1:15 PM – 3:00 PM
- Location: Ekonomikum Lecture Hall 2, Kyrkogårdsgatan 10, Uppsala
- Lecturer: Henry Jenkins, Professor, School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California, USA
- Organiser: Department of Informatics and Media
- Contact person: Christian Sandström
- Seminarium, Föreläsning
Public lecture by the Faculty of Social Sciences’ honorary doctor 2018 Professor Henry Jenkins with the title Popular Culture and the Civic Imagination.
Henry Jenkins is Provost’s Professor of Communication, Journalism, Cinematic Arts and Education at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA. He has made great contributions in several different scholarly fields, such as cultural studies, political science, sociology, and media and communication studies. One of his most important contributions is showing the political importance of popular culture. In his early work in the 1990s he focused on popular TV series, while his later research has looked at participatory cultures and youths use of online media. Jenkins’ work is distinguished by his recurring reminders that people are not victims or slaves under technology, but use technology for activistic purposes. His combination of optimism and critical realism has inspired several generations of researchers. He has also reached many non-academic groups, supporting their work for a better and more participatory world.