Autumn 2021 series starting Sep 19: Paulo Freire and Human Survival in the Twenty First Century
- Date: –19:30
- Location: CEMUS Library, Geocentrum, Villavägen 16, 752 36 Uppsala
- Organiser: Centre for Environment and Development Studies, CEMUS
- Contact person: Daniel Mossberg
EVENTS AT CEMUS TO HONOR THE INTERNATIONAL CELEBRATION OF PAULO FREIRE’S 100TH ANNIVERSARY
Initiated and convened by CEMUS affiliate Azril Bacal
In a context of a severe world crisis situation signaled by climate emergency and the covid-19 pandemic, we at CEMUS in collaboration with various international Freirean networks wll recall and honor the critical and hopeful pedagogical legacy of Paulo Freire. We have organized in this respect a series of events beginning on Sunday September 19, 2021, by joining a vast celebration of his vital legacy and inspiration in all corners of the world.
This initial event entails a conversation about the relevance of freire’s legacy to confront the critical social and educational issues of our time. This conversation will be followed by other events throughout the following months, to progresively engage the academic world and popular education associations in dialogue about the transformative potential of research and education inspired by one of the most important educators of the past century. The lessons and inspiration from Freire are deemed to be today more relevant and crucial than ever before, against a background of fake news, propaganda, and erosion of liberal and social democracies.
Events autumn 2021
To participate online please register here: Registration – autumn 2021 – no registration needed to participate in person in CEMUS Library.
1. Conversation on Paulo Freire, Sunday September 19 kl. 18.30-19.30, in CEMUS Library, Villavägen 16 and online. Convener: Azril Bacal (CEMUS affiliate) and Daniel Mossberg (lead outreach coordinator CEMUS).
2. Follow-up seminar based on recorded conversation from the first conversation, Thursday September 30 kl. 15.15-17.00 discussion and dialogue with the audience (both local and international).
3. Tentative panel on transformative research and education. Preliminary date: Thursday October 7 kl. 15.15-17.00. Panelists to be announced.
4. Freire and popular education. Preliminary date: Thursday October 21 kl. 15.15-17.00.